Maryland Medical Assistance Family Planning Program
The Family Planning Program provides medical services to eligible women under 51 years old and for women who lost their Medicaid coverage after they were covered for a pregnancy under the Maryland Children’s Health Program (MCHP). The Family Planning Program is a limited benefit package. Visits to a doctor, nurse practitioner, nurse midwife, or clinic for birth control will be covered. Services include:
- Advice about birth control methods;
- Physical exams, including pelvic and breast exam;
- Screenings, such as pap smears and sexually transmitted infections when done as part of the family planning visit;
- Birth control pills and devices, such as IUDs;
- Emergency contraception; and
- Permanent sterilization (must be age 21 or over).
Women can apply by mail or fax. To request an application call toll free at 1-855-692-4993. Women can also fill out and print a copy of the application.
To learn more, call 1-855-692-4993.
Please note, the Maryland Medical Assistance Family Planning Program does not cover enough services to be a health insurance plan. If you are enrolled in the Family Planning Program, you may have to pay a fine if you do not enroll in another health insurance plan.
Visit www.MarylandHealthConnection.gov or call 1-855-642-8572 to find out what plan is right for you. You may qualify for full Medicaid benefits or get help paying for a health insurance plan.